Thursday, March 14, 2013

Reflection/Analysis

My neighborhood is consisted of the middle class and is a family oriented values. Most parents in my neighborhood have high paying labor intensive jobs and want better for their children. They try to provide the most for their kids by sending them to school to get an education and having the opportunity to get into college, hopefully by scholarship.  I remember the type of children that I went to school with. There seemed to be a 50/50 chance for them. Half of the students really cared about achieving more than what their parents could. The other half seemed to have other priorities above their education, most of them included hanging around with the wrong types of people.  Those students that do care about their education seem to be on the right path. Those that have never really shown an interest have either gotten better with high school or continued their old habits. I believe that the American Dream is alive in my neighborhood, even if for only part of the population.  In my neighborhood, the American Dream is not based so much on sole happiness, but the belief that with money comes happiness because of the economic security you can have. This also ties in with the belief that an education is required to achieve this. Even those that do not care about their education realize this and don't believe to be ever able to be financially stable or achieve happiness, or the American Dream.

2 comments:

  1. I understand what it is to know people who have no will to move forward with their education and who are being influenced by the wrong types of people. They do acknowledge that education is important but like you said don’t do anything about it. They seem to have grown comfortable with the thought of not achieving their dreams.
    Word Count:59

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a wonderful job Daisy.(: Your presentation was very straight forward and you knew what you were talking about. You allowed people to relate to it which I think was the best part. I also had fun being your clicker. haha

    ReplyDelete