The
main character Negi is an adolescent puerto rican girl living with her parents
and many younger siblings. Being the oldest she is left with many
responsibilities including taking care of her younger siblings while her mother
is at work because most of the time the father is not there, he is usually
running around with other women which seems to be what many husbands in Puerto
Rico do. Their family moves around a lot, mainly the cause of the
mom wanting to get away from her husband that she ends up forgiving, and they
have lived in both the city and countryside of Puerto Rico. Negi prefers the bucolic
lifestyle and wants to be from the barrio and she is proud of it!
Along with growing up Negi seems to be
maturing, not just mentally but physically as well. She, already, has
experienced things that no regular preteen has gone through like seeing the
private parts of the opposite sex and letting them see yours; getting “checked
out” by not only a man, but your principal! I doubt she’ll be getting good
grades at that school!
My group for lit circles is the best I could’ve
been matched with. Each one of my group
members is always prepared with their assigned jobs to every lit circle and we
get very deep into discussions. I feel like we can really relate to Negi and
her family in this book because we share the commonality of being Hispanic and
there are a lot of ideas and religious aspects that are very similar even
though we are Mexican and her family is Puerto rican. Honestly, at first I did
not like this book at all, mainly because the prologue was way too descriptive for
my taste; I usually don’t even read the prologue. Seriously, I don’t want to
read a whole freaking chapter on how a guava looks or what it tastes like or its redolent scent, I’ll
Google it! The author could’ve done without the prologue in my opinion because
it made me think that this book was going to be about describing nature in
puerto rico, I hate when authors describe nature so much because I find it
fake. Lesson learned: always skip the prologue.
WORD COUNT: 371
OH AND I DID GOOGLE IT. SHE COULD'VE JUST SAID IT LOOKED LIKE A TINY WATERMELON FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
WORD COUNT: 371
OH AND I DID GOOGLE IT. SHE COULD'VE JUST SAID IT LOOKED LIKE A TINY WATERMELON FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

No comments:
Post a Comment