The Crucible isn't like any other play I've read before. I've never read anything telling of religious views and witchcraft that was fiction. This play was very interesting to me because of the personalities of the characters. They are very stubborn and biassed in that they believe that a small sign of witchcraft means you are a witch. I found it surprising with how they handle these types of "crimes". I also found it weird that they revolved almost everything they did with the church. But it's also strange that they believe themselves to be good people and they do such harsh things if you don't obey them, like hangings.
This play is also a bit confusing because the girls that were accussed of witchcraft first denied it and then confessed it later with calm, it confusing to tell wether or not the characters are associted with witchcraft or they're covering up for someone else. Tituba also seems like a strange character, first because she talks in third person and second because she claimed to give the girls chicken blood. Wouldn't you die if you drank chicken blood?!
Word Count: 188
What do you think was the purpose of writing about this event? I think that Tituba just talks like this because she is illiterate. I think these are very good observations, now you should try to answer these questions. For example, why did Arthur Miller choose to write about these people the way he did? For example, instead of just showing the reader their flaws through dialogue, he actually tells us. What does this do for the play ?
ReplyDelete