An Account of an Experience with Discrimination
Sojourner Truth
This letter compelled me to it because it reminds me of Abraham Lincoln, my favorite president. This time in history is very fascinating to me because I love the Civil War in which Sojourner Truth was involved in. The way that she was able to stand up for herself against someone of a different race, which was very dangerous t that time, was extremly brave and inspiring because she stood up for what was right.
It got me upset that, even after slavery was abolished, people were still discriminating against other races. But, then again, there is still that hint of racism today. Although the man that didn't give Truth a ride was rude to her, and violent, she was civil about reporting him and did what was right.
My favorite part of the letter was the last thing she said mentioning that it's hard for her slaveholding spirit to die even though it should. That got me thinking about how she is proud of her heritage but it shouldnt be continued or that she doesn't want the future generation to be the same, that they should change for the better.
The Jilting of Granny Weatherall
I did not really enjoy this story as much as I did the letter. This story seemed short to me and I had no interest in it whatsoever. This story was not appeallling and it was just about a woman who got frightened and is getting a bit older, I didn't see anything creative to it.
I agree, standing up for what is right is a very hard thing to do; especially when you are standing alone.Sojourner truth deserves credit for her bravery but it sad that in a way, she failed in her mission because people still retain some racism in our modern society.
ReplyDeleteWhat happened? The "Jilting of Granny Weatherall" was longer than "An Accounting of an Experience with Discrimination". The Jilting had way more story, with a hardworking woman who lived a relatively hard and successful life. Her dying days spent with the thoughts of and miserable youth and the departure of two lovers. She wasn't frightened of death at all, but rather, the idea of being forgotten, thrown away, left behind. That's what her first fiance, George, did, and in her last minutes of mortality, she felt that God was walking away from her.
ReplyDeleteOverall, The "Jilting of Granny Weatherall" is a much more intriguing story than An "Account of an Experience with Discrimination."
I did not read the second story but I agree with you. The letter inspired a lot of emotion in me considering that it was a very short piece of literature. I don't know if I'm the only one who felt this way, but did you feel like she didn't describe the scenes with a lot of emotion? For example, if these things would have happen to me, I would have most likely used my writing to show a great difference between the racist driver and myself. It was nice to see you write in things about yourself because it gave it that journal type feeling.
ReplyDeleteDo you feel that the second story didn't express emotions at all? I agree with you that the second story was boring, because in fact, I decided not to read it for this reason. To me, this story was long and try. I definitely agree with you with the second story being unappealing. Great job expressing your thoughts.
ReplyDelete